Saturday, October 24, 2009

A Day to Always Remember

This morning in sacrament meeting, President Okiishi stated that, "Today will be a day you will always remember." I thought about it, thinking that of course I want to remember today, I want to remember everyday. But his words were profound.
Today is the halfway mark for my time her in Jerusalem, and I feel an overwhelming amount of gratitude for my experiences here so far, and the people I am with. Elder Holland arrived at the BYU Jerusalem Center, the same building he helped create, in the early afternoon, as we were finishing church. He ate dinner in our ordinary Oasis, but they went all out for him tonight. We had turkey with cranberry sauce, and actual chocolate ice-cream. This is big. Usually it is chicken cooked with Palestinian herbs, or fish with the skin still on it, and every desert tastes like egg nog. But today we had turkey with cranberry sauce. I instructed Sister Holland on the tricks of the salad, and welcomed both her and Elder Holland as we moved through the line. And yes, of course Dad, I asked him about your tennis match, which he said he won!
I sat on the third row in the auditorium, directly in front of the podium, waiting to hear the voice of an apostle speak to us. I looked at the stage and was struck by the presence of those in front of me. Not only the presence of Elder & Sister Holland and Elder & Sister Porter, but also the everyday presence of Brother and Sister Brown.
The Porters bore their testimony, then Sister Holland, and Elder Holland was to speak next. As Sister Holland went to sit down, Elder Holland waited for her, looked into her eyes, grabbed her hand, and kissed it quickly, but with affection, as she sat down.
He began by forcefully reminding us students of our privilege and obligation we have for being here. He stated that if we go home the same as we came, he will be ashamed and disappointed. That this experience is of such great worth that it should change our lives forever. He then continued to talk about the Nephites begging Christ to stay a little longer in 3 Nephi 17, and that with Christ, mercy trumps justice. His talk was unbelievable, and so powerful. I sat watching him talk about the most important site of the Old Testament being the Mercy Seat in the Ark of the Covenant, which resided in Jerusalem, and gratitude doesn't begin to describe what I felt. And as he talked, Jerusalem lit up behind him.
Later a group of us met on my balcony to read each Gospel's description of the Atonement, and then read through what Elder Holland taught in 3rd Nephi 11-17. I know, not a typical activity for me to sit and do on a Saturday night. Technically, Saturday is the sabbath here, but still.
The gratitude I feel for being here is unbelievable, and I feel like I am not appreciative of it unless I express it. It's not every study abroad where an apostle of the Lord comes and speaks with you, hugs you, and stays in the apartment right above you. I feel like I am having an experience that is fully changing my life forever, and today helped me remember that. Everyone always notices how people come back from Jerusalem a little bit quirky... or kind of obsessed with the other people they were with... but I understand why. This is a life changing experience. One that will bless my life forever. So I feel like I need to yell it! Today is a day to always remember.

2 comments:

Jules said...

True True! Jane I love you! I love you a lot!

jennie said...

I love you Jano and I love that you appreciate what you are experiencing, there is nothing like it. miss you.