Thursday, September 3, 2009

Orientation

This morning I woke up to the sound of the prayer call blasting through the speakers on the hill next to the Center. It is in Arabic and goes on for at least 5 minutes. As it woke me up I thought about all of the people getting up to pray, and was amazed by their devotion.
After breakfast and a meeting, we headed off on an orientation walk throughout the city. We saw so many things that as of now I don't know how to spell, but I'll try anyways: Olive trees, Kanab valley, Mount of Olives, Garden of Gethsemane (from a distance), Old Jerusalem... hmmm, really I don't remember all of the places. We weren't allowed to bring a camera or money, they just wanted us to get oriented with everywhere. So I just walked, looked, and tried to take it all in. Obviously in the months to come it will all become very familiar to me.
It is different than I expected. Every building and part of the streets are made with limestone. In many parts of the city you can see how over centuries the city just gets higher and higher because instead of tearing things down, they just build over old buildings.
I can't believe I am here. It still feels like just a vacation. I feel like I need to be buying everything now, seeing everything now, but then I realize I will be here for 3 1/2 more months. Crazy! And exciting. I'm loving it. It's fun getting to know all the people right now. It's like every hour I get to know someone better, which is so much fun.
Jerusalem, so far, so good! I'm loving it!

4 comments:

Pamela Nelson said...

Jane-o,
I'm glad you are posting here. what a great way for all of us to keep up with your adventures. Your music fits and your descriptions help me get a sense of your adventure. You sound strong and happy. Momma

Mike Nelson said...

Chico!! Keep the updates coming. We all miss you! You're the best! Love ya.

Jules said...

Jane-o!! I am MISSING YOU!!! I can't believe you are there...and Im not..BOO! I miss you but keep posting and keep me updated! I am trying to update my blog...for you! Keep the updates coming our way, and enjoy every minute!
Oh, miss me too...a lot!

dance yourself silly said...

Janers! I found your blog. Yay! I simply love you! Oh, and miss you like crazy. But, you already know that.